It Ain't Easy Bein' Me

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Irreverence or deep theology?


There's a particular song played by Comtemporary Christian radio stations which some folks might believe is disprectful or irreverent or whatever. I'm not usually one to get too uptight about such things, so it only stands to reason that I would have no problem with the song. I love it.

The name of the song is THE CARTOON SONG. I'll supply the lyrics below, but basically it's a fun song in which the performer speculates what would happen if cartoon characters got saved. Much to my approval, the song came on the radio today on my way home from work, and I was thinking about this question. Is this song disprectful or does it take salvation lightly?

As I was pondering this, I believe I got a clear answer from our Lord. He says if man doesn't praise Him, even the rocks will cry out to Him. I believe the song writer does a good job of driving that point home in a fun way.

My friends, God is God. He will be praised. Kudos to the song writer for being creative and fun enough to produce such a deep truth in such a fun way. You know, we need to reach our kids where they are. It's not highly likely that many of our kids are going to be listening to big church organ music, or some Church of Christ a cappella version of HOW FIRM A FOUNDATION.

I love our Lord. He's way good to me. I said it before, way gooder than I deserve. He sends Christian friends to pick me up after the world has kicked me squarely in the groin and takes the opportunity to kick me in the face while I'm down on my knees. He sends hugs and nuggets of wisdom from my kids at the most opportune times. He is a good God. I really don't know why He loves me so. I really don't. But I'm glad He does. And I'm glad He blesses people like Chis Rice to come up with cool little songs to reach and teach cool little kids who desperately need someone to reach and teach them. Yes, I am.


Artist: Chris Rice
Album: Past The Edges
Title: The Cartoon Song


I was thinking the other day
What if cartoons got saved?
They'd start singing praise
In a whole new way


Yea, I was thinking the other day
What if cartoons got saved?
They'd start singing praise
In a whole new way


Fred and Wilma Flintstone sing
ya-ba-daba-lujah


Scooby-do and Shaggy
scooby-do-be-lujah


And the Jetson's dog named Astro
ra-ra-ru-jah


CHORUS


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
cowabunga-lujah, dude


Then there's Kermit the Frog here,
singing hi-ho-la-lujah


And that little bald guy, Elmer Fudd
hallelujah, uh


CHORUS


Oh that big ol' Moose and his friend Rocky,
ba-ya-ca-bujah


And our favorite bear named Yogi,
hi-a-baa-lujah


And There's all those little blue guys
And they'd sing..
la-la-lalalala-lalala-lujah


Oh, how 'bout Beavis, and that other guy
*beep*


CHORUS


Now there's a point to this looney tune
I'm not an animaniac, but there's a lot of praising to do
And cartoons weren't made for that,
It's our job. Oh, yeah


So let's sing hallelujah (hallelujah)
hallelujah (hallelujah)
hallelujah (hallelujah)


Let's sing hallelujah... (Let's sing hallelujah)
hallelujah (hallelujah)

Copyright/Label: Label: Rocketown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home