It Ain't Easy Bein' Me

Thursday, June 16, 2005

I am Not a Role Model!


Philippians 3:
10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,

11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
15 All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.

16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
17 Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.


“I am not a role model!” We heard NBA superstar Charles Barkley say it. Heck, I’ve said as much myself…very recently. My wording was more like, “hey, don’t look to me for your example. I’ll let you down every time. Look to Christ, not me.”

Well, that’s nothing but a cop out.

As Christians, we are examples, whether we want to be or not. Examples to the world looking at us to see if what we claim is real or if it’s just another pie in the sky fairy tale. Or, in some cases, examples to a world just waiting for and wanting us to stumble so they can “prove” it’s all a farce. And, maybe more importantly, we are examples to those younger in the faith than ourselves. Those that we’re not supposed to cause to stumble.

What I do find interesting, is that Paul in verse 12 and the first part of 13, readily admits he isn’t where he needs to be. I find that very comforting. It gives me hope. Maybe I’m not a total screw up after all. Maybe, if the apostle Paul was still stumbling and growing, it’s OK that I’m still stumbling and growing. However, he does go on to urge the Philippians to follow his example, in that he is striving to be better and closer to our Lord.

And that word “fellowship” in verse 10 means more than what we normally think of as “fellowship” in today’s terms. Today we use it to mean go sit and spend time with someone. It’s deeper than that. It means to know someone intimately, to have something deep in common with them you can talk about and understand of each other. Something special that one who doesn’t have that understanding could never relate to. Paul is searching for, and urging us to seek, a deeper relationship with our Lord.

So, from now on I’ll say something more like, “Follow me when I walk in the Spirit and try to grow and know Him in a deeper way, but do not imitate me when I mess up. Pray for me that my imperfections will become less and my Christ-like attributes will become more. Follow me when I follow Him. Pray for me when I don’t.”

I need to work on being a better role model, and I need to remind myself that I’m setting an example whether I want to claim to be one or not. The question is no longer whether I’m an example to the world and to those who may not be so mature spiritually, the question is, “Am I a good example or a bad example?” That’s the question.

Will you join me in trying to be a better example? And will you pray for me to be a better example?

2 Comments:

  • Hot News From The Automotive Lending Industry!!

    +++++++++Current Profile+++++++++
    InterFinancial Holdings, Corp (IFLH)
    Current Price $0.036
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Is this an undiscovered gem priced to go higher!!
    Please read the following Announcement in its Entirety and Consider the Possibilities�
    Watch this One to Trade!

    IFLH announces Senator David Cain has joined its Board of Directors!!

    IFLH volume trading is beginning to surge with landslide Announcement. The value of this
    stock appears poised for growth! This one should not remain on the ground floor for long.

    BREAKING NEWS!!
    InterFinancial Holdings, Corp. (OTC Pink Sheets: IFLH - News) announced that they have added
    David Cain to their board of directors. David Cain is currently the Chairman of the advisory
    board to TTI (Texas Transportation Institute). Senator Cain represented Senate District 2 for
    eight years in the Texas Senate and Chaired the Senate State Affairs Subcommittee on
    Transportation and served nine terms in the Texas House of Representatives for District 107.

    During his twelve years as Chairman of the House Committee on Transportation, Senator Cain�s
    efforts on behalf of the people of Texas have been widely recognized. He was named to Texas
    Monthly Magazine�s list of Ten Best Legislators, the Dallas Morning News said he was one of
    the outstanding legislators of the 73rd session, and the Texas Department of Transportation
    awarded him the Russell H. Perry Award in 1995 for his efforts to gain public awareness of
    the need for and benefits of transportation facilities in the State of Texas.

    Jeffrey C. Bruteyn, Managing Director, stated, We at InterFinancial are proud to have such a
    widely recognized Senator join our board and oversee out automotive lending division. His
    affiliations and connections to the automotive industry will be invaluable to our company.
    Senator Cain will be instrumental in expediting our approval to use a government issued Seller
    Finance License.

    Seller Finance Licenses are very difficult to obtain and are usually reserved for the Big Boys
    with heavy lobbyists. These licenses are highly coveted because it allows the finance company
    to collect the entire down payment, instead of paying a portion of it to the taxing authority.
    This dramatically helps a finance company�s bottom line if the buyer defaults on the loan.

    With the new GPS tracking systems being installed on every car to dramatically improve
    repossessions and with Senator Cain on the Board of Directors, InterFinancial Holdings
    is ready to take their business to the next level.

    Conclusion:

    The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little known Companies
    That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens. This stock will not be a Secret for long.
    Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right Now! And Please Watch This One Trade!!
    GO IFLH!

    All statements made are our express opinion only and should be treated as such. We may own,
    take position and sell any securities mentioned at any time. Any statements that express or
    involve discussions with respect to predictions, goals, expectations, beliefs, plans,
    projections, objectives, assumptions or future events or performance are not statements of
    historical fact and may be "forward looking statements." Forward looking statements are based
    on expectations, estimates and projections at the time the statements are made that involve a
    number of risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results or events to differ materially
    from those presently anticipated. This newsletter was paid four thousand dollars from a party
    (IR Marketing). Forward looking statements in this action may be identified through the use of
    words such as: "projects", "foresee", "expects". in compliance with Section 17(.b), we disclose
    the holding of IF LH shares prior to the publication of this report. Be aware of an inherent
    conflict of interest resulting from such holdings due to our intent to profit from the liquidation
    of these shares. Shares may be sold at any time, even after positive statements have been made
    regarding the above company. Since we own shares, there is an inherent conflict of interest in
    our statements and opinions. Readers of this publication are cautioned not to place undue reliance
    on forward-looking statements, which are based on certain assumptions and expectations involving
    various risks and uncertainties that could cause results to differ materially from those set forth
    in the forward- looking statements. This is not solicitation to buy or sell stocks, this text is
    for informational purpose only and you should seek professional advice from registered financial
    advisor before you do anything related with buying or selling stocks, penny stocks are very high
    risk and you can lose your entire investment.

    By Blogger joeyss04wenelson, at August 15, 2005 at 12:18 AM  

  • damn good blog, check out mine http://juicyfruiter.blogspot.com, comments always welcome!

    By Blogger alexandrea726otis, at August 21, 2005 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home